Peel Watershed

Victory for the Peel Watershed

Victory for the Peel Watershed

Earlier today Mr. Justice Ron Veale of the Supreme Court of Yukon announced his decision in The First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun et. al. v The Government of Yukon, the lawsuit concerning the Peel Watershed launched by the First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun, Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in, Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society Yukon Chapter (CPAWS Yukon) and the Yukon Conservation Society (YCS).

In his reasons for judgment, Justice Veale agreed with the plaintiffs that Yukon Government violated the land use planning process laid out in the Umbrella Final Agreement (UFA) with respect to the Peel Watershed Land Use Plan.  The planning process will now return to the stage where Yukon Government ran it off the rails – the final round of consultation with First Nations and the public.  The court order constrains Yukon Government to the modifications they previously proposed but the question of the amount of land protected and the question of access are off limits.

You can read the plaintiffs’ press release here:
You can find a summary of the Judge’s decision for the media here:
And the full text of the decision can be found here:


The Yukon government recently made an historic decision: to open one of the world's biggest natural treasures, the Peel River watershed, to development. Home to the greatest constellation of wild mountain rivers in North America, the Peel Watershed is one of the last large intact ecosystems on the continent.

CPAWS has joined a coalition of two Yukon First Nations and another Yukon environmental organization to launched a legal case to defend the Peel Watershed, represented by Thomas R. Berger, O.C, Q.C.

The week of July 7 – 10th renowned lawyer Thomas R. Berger argued a landmark constitutional case in Yukon Supreme Court on behalf of the First Nation of Nacho Nyak Dun, Tr'ondëk Hwëch'in, Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society Yukon Chapter and the Yukon Conservation Society. Mr. Berger argued that the courts should force the Government of Yukon to implement a land use plan that would protect more than 54,000 square kilometers of wilderness in northern Yukon’s Peel River Watershed from mining and industrial development. See media release.

Hundreds of people attended the trial and associated events. Re-live the week of the court case!

Peel Watershed in Court - CPAWS Yukon from Marty O'Brien on Vimeo.

After 6 years of careful study and consultation, the Peel Watershed Land Use Planning Commission recommended protecting 80% of this extraordinary wilderness with the remaining 20% open to carefully controlled development. The Yukon Government’s announcement on January 21, 2014, threw out the Peel Watershed Land Use Planning Commission’s Final Recommended Plan and instead implemented the government’s own unilateral plan for the region. This new plan resulted in 71% of the region being opened up for mineral and oil and gas staking.

Join with local people, First Nations, tourism and guide outfitting industries in support of the Peel Land Use Planning Commission's Final Recommended Plan.

The threat

Expanded mining exploration and development will require the building of roads, bridges and possibly railroads in this wilderness. The development of one deposit could open the region to many others, as transportation opportunities lower the cost of extracting lead-zinc, uranium, copper, nickel and coal believed to be buried in the region. Transportation routes will carve up the landscape, interfere with animal migration and irrevocably tame this great wilderness.

What CPAWS is doing

CPAWS Yukon, along with the First Nation of Na Cho Nyak Dun, Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in, and the Yukon Conservation Society, is taking legal action against the Yukon Government to force the implementation of a Land Use Plan that would protect 54,000 square kilometers of wilderness in northern Yukon’s Peel River Watershed, against mining and other industrial development.


To learn more about Peel Watershed protection efforts, please visit

Take Action

Join the fight to protect the Peel
Join the fight to protect the Peel
This is a critical time for the Peel River Watershed. Join us to stand with Yukon First Nations, Yukon environmental organizations, and the people of the Yukon in demanding protection of the Peel. Make a donation to support our legal action to protect the Peel Watershed!
Donate today

Stay updated

Never miss your chance to make a difference! Enter your e-mail address here to get CPAWS news and actions delivered right to your inbox.